There’s a new kid on the block at NLC. He’s part New Yorker, part Texan and part Floridian with a deep passion for social justice running through his veins. He’s as serious about tackling our community’s most important issues as he is about a game of office corn hole. Charlie Imbergamo has officially joined Team NLC as our new Director of Strategic Programs. Here are 15 things to know about the freshest face on our staff.
1. Charlie was born and raised in New York and grew up on the border of Brooklyn and Queens. He credits his mom, dad and maternal grandmother for instilling his strong sense of servant leadership.
“My family taught me the value of seeing a need and responding to it as generously as possible.”
2. Charlie has spent 25 years in education, with the past 13+ years as president and CEO of three private, independent, faith-based schools. He made his way to Florida after accepting the job as founding President and CEO of the Cristo Rey school in Tampa — part of the national Cristo Rey network.
3. Charlie isn’t just a self-proclaimed lifelong learner; he’s got the street cred to prove it. He received his bachelor’s degree from St. Joseph’s College in Brooklyn with a major in Spanish and equivalent major in Italian. He has a master’s degree in educational leadership from St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Texas. He’s a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) and has his executive certificate in nonprofit leadership and management from Mendoza College of Business at Notre Dame.
4. Charlie’s greatest passion is creating opportunity where opportunity may not exist and closing opportunity gaps to deepen equity.
5. Charlie has been involved with NLC for years before joining as a staff member. He most recently participated in NLC’s CEO Circle #1. What’s the value he sees in being involved with NLC as a nonprofit leader? Listen for yourself:
6. When it comes to technology, Charlie thinks it has helped our sector innovate and be more responsive. However, he believes building relationships and community requires face-to-face interactions.
“The principal part of my work at NLC will be to listen to the challenges people are facing and then help develop solutions to those challenges.”
7. Charlie likes starting every meeting, class or training with a few moments of mindfulness.
8. Charlie believes building community is what he has been called to do. Here’s what he has to say about the importance of building strong community partnerships and the keys to doing it successfully.
9. Speaking of building relationships, one of Charlie’s favorite quotes is this African Proverb: If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
10. Charlie is a big believer of adaptive leadership because change is constant. Being flexible and thoughtful as we navigate change and respond to the ebbs and flows of our community, relationships and selves is what he believes makes a strong leader.
11. As someone from an Italian-American family, Charlie loves cooking, baking and of course, eating great food. Food has always been an important way to deepen relationships and convene in his family.
12. Charlie loves being out on the water. Chances are that if you invite him to go out on your boat, he’ll say yes, with the dream of having his own one day.
13. Charlie has a dog named Coco and a cat he rescued after Hurricane Irma named Rigoletto.
14. Charlie loves music and is a classically trained tenor. If you come to one of his classes or custom trainings, he might take your song requests *wink.*
15. There are a few other things most people don’t know about Charlie. He’s letting you in on them here.