The Certificate in Leadership is presented by the Nonprofit Leadership Center with generous support from Florida Blue.
About the Program
The Certificate in Leadership is a 10-week program for nonprofit leaders who are new to managing programs or people (have been in their position for less than three years). Through peer-based learning groups, group coaching calls and one-on-one coaching, the program prepares current and emerging nonprofit leaders to effectively lead and manage in our dynamically changing sector while strengthening their organizations and our community.
The Certificate in Leadership consists of the following experiences:
- Five half-day training sessions (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) facilitated by expert practitioners at the Nonprofit Leadership Center
- Four virtual group coaching sessions (one hour each)
- Two follow-up classroom trainings of the participant’s choice at the Nonprofit Leadership Center
- A 30-minute virtual follow-up coaching session
All classes and content empower participants to practice skill development in the following areas:
- Reflective writing
- Critical thinking
- Giving and receiving feedback
Upon receiving the Certificate in Leadership, nonprofit leaders will:
- Understand themselves and how to manage their organizational responsibilities
- Identify and improve their personal leadership capabilities and people management skills, while developing varying methods to overcome day-to-day obstacles
- Understand their personal leadership style and develop a plan to enhance their skills
- Respond authentically to the changes and challenges facing today’s nonprofit leaders
- Present their leadership knowledge and aspirations at the conclusion of the program
Classes & Schedule
The 2020 Certificate in Leadership cohort will begin in May 2020. Co-led by NLC’s Charlie Imbergamo, five, four-hour sessions will take place at the Nonprofit Leadership Center on the following Tuesdays through July:
- Session 1: The Conscious Leader — May 5, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.*
- Session 2: The Emotionally Intelligent Leader —May 19, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Session 3: The Connected Leader — June 16, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Session 4: The Data-Driven Leader — June 30, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Final Session 5: Leadership: A Facilitated Conversation — July 14, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
* Session 1 is longer to provide for Overall Program and
Virtual group coaching will be offered between sessions to help participants build their confidence and skills, ensuring key concepts are both understood and practiced throughout the process and beyond. The right coaching brings leadership knowledge, accountability and experience, providing fresh insight to expand thinking and enhance performance.
Session 1: The Conscious Leader
May 5, 2020
Facilitated by Ellen Nastir
Self-awareness and self-care are critical components of effective leadership. When you know your strengths and weaknesses, you can build upon them to maximize your effectiveness — at work and in life. Using the PeopleMap™ assessment, this session will empower leaders to focus on their Achilles’ heels — their areas for potential growth. Leaders will build an awareness of how different communication styles may unknowingly impact or trigger others, increase their understanding of others with intention, cultivate their leadership presence, and learn to identify team toxins and their antidotes. The strategies and exercises in this session will help prepare leaders to lead effectively.
Session 2: The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
May 19, 2020
Facilitated by Dr. John Loblack
Studies show that effective leadership is closely tied to emotional intelligence. Using a variety of highly engaging learning strategies, this session will help leaders internalize the five competencies of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship management, motivation), identify the link between emotional intelligence and effective leadership, expand their communication skills, and learn how to apply emotional intelligence at work and out in the world.
Session 3: The Connected Leader
June 16, 2020
Facilitated by Margarita Sarmiento
Recent demographic changes in our society have resulted in a workplace with rich cultural and generational differences. Effective leaders must understand these differences and how to harness them to cultivate an effective team and organization. This session will help leaders increase their knowledge of changing demographics and the language of diversity, understand how preconceptions affect behavior, develop strategies for creating teams that are strengthened by their differences, and learn a proven strategy for addressing conflict and working through disagreements. Additionally, they will identify ways to build and maintain trusting relationships with, and between, team members.
Session 4: The Data-Driven Leader
June 30, 2020
Facilitated by Rebecca Watson
An organization’s success is largely influenced by the decisions of its leaders. Effective leaders make data-driven decisions that advance their organization’s mission and vision. This session will explore proven principles, practices and systems, including Data-Driven Decision Making (3DM), to help leaders listen to their data, make effective decisions and drive high-impact organizational performance. Leaders will learn how to apply 3DM principles in critical areas, including program evaluation, strategic planning and performance reviews, as well as how to develop a data-driven culture at work.
Session 5: Leadership — A Facilitated Conversation
July 14, 2020
The final session of the Certificate in Leadership program invites leaders from across the community to participate in a facilitated conversation with Certificate participants, allowing participants the opportunity to hear different leadership perspectives, ask questions, further develop their knowledge and skills gained during the certificate program, and share next steps on their leadership journey. The session culminates in the awarding of the Certificate in Leadership.
All classes in the Certificate in Leadership program are taught by experienced subject matter experts and practitioners at the Nonprofit Leadership Center. Meet our 2020 Nonprofit Leadership Certificate trainers and learn more about them here:
The Certificate in Leadership is made possible thanks to a generous grant from Florida Blue. The subsidized fee for participants is only $400. This fee includes all sessions and materials. Limited scholarship support is available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Apply
Acceptance into the 2020 Certificate in Leadership program is by application only and consists of the following steps and timeline:
- Step 1: Organizations nominate leaders to participate (February 5-28, 2020) NOMINATIONS HAVE CLOSED
- Step 2: Nominees are invited to complete an application (March 12-19, 2020) NOMINEES HAVE BEEN INVITED TO APPLY
- Step 3: Certificate participants are selected and announced (TBD)
- The program begins May 5, 2020, and runs through July 2020 Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the start date for this program has been postponed. We will communicate directly with nominees as more information is available.
Step 1: Nominate a Leader in Your Organization
Please note: Nominations have closed for the 2020 Certificate in Leadership. We will let you know when the next round of nominations opens.
Candidates must …
- Be new to their position (three years or less) in managing people or programs. Examples include a CEO or executive director who has just joined an organization, a first-time manager who is learning how to effectively lead others or a professional who is new to overseeing a program or department.
- Commit to attending all sessions on the published dates.
- Have the support from executive staff and senior leaders to attend, practice and implement what they’re learning through the program.
Step 2: Nominees Complete an Application
We contacted nominees in March to complete an application for the Certificate in Leadership program.
Step 3: Candidate Selection and Announcement
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee representing leaders from the Nonprofit Leadership Center and Florida Blue. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we are delaying candidate announcements and the program start date until it is advisable to gather in groups again. We will share more information as it becomes available.
We will announce dates for the 2021 and 2022 Certificate in Leadership in the coming months.
For More Information
If you have questions about the new Certificate in Leadership from the Nonprofit Leadership Center in partnership with Florida Blue, contact email@example.com or call 813-287-8779.