The Certificate in Leadership is a virtual 10-week program for nonprofit leaders who are new to managing people or programs (have been in their position for less than three years). Through peer-based learning groups, group coaching calls and one-on-one coaching, the program prepares current and emerging nonprofit leaders to effectively lead and manage in our dynamically changing sector while strengthening their organizations and communities.
The Certificate in Leadership consists of the following experiences:
- Virtual orientation and meet and greet
- Five virtual, half-day training sessions (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) facilitated by expert practitioners
- Four virtual group coaching sessions (one hour each) in between each training session
- A 30-minute virtual individual coaching session
- Follow-up monthly facilitated (virtual) group coaching calls (one hour each)
All classes and content empower participants to practice skill development in the following areas:
- Reflective writing
- Critical thinking
- Giving and receiving feedback
- 100% of graduates say they can respond authentically to changes and challenges facing today’s nonprofit leaders, up from 59% before the program.
- Participants’ ability to understand themselves and manage their organizational responsibilities increased from 88% to 100% from the beginning to the end of the program.
- 100% of participants say they understood their leadership style and could develop a plan to enhance their skills after the program, up from 77% before the program began.
The 2023 Certificate in Leadership is co-led by Charlie Imbergamo and Meriel Martínez with the Nonprofit Leadership Center.
- Program Orientation — March 9, 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. EST
- Session 1: The Emotionally Intelligent Leader — March 23, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST
- Session 2: The Conscious Leader — April 6, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST
- Session 3: The Data-Driven Leader — April 20, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST
- Session 4: The Connected Leader — May 4, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST
- Session 5: Leadership: A Facilitated Conversation — May 18, 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. EST
The program orientation and all training sessions are mandatory to complete the Certificate in Leadership.
Virtual group coaching will be offered between sessions to help participants build their confidence and skills, ensuring key concepts are both understood and practiced throughout the process and beyond. The right coaching brings leadership knowledge, accountability, and experience, providing fresh insight to expand thinking and enhance performance.
Virtual Group Coaching Dates
- Group Coaching Session 1 — March 30, 9 a.m.-10 a.m. EST
- Group Coaching Session 2 — April 13, 9 a.m.-10 a.m. EST
- Group Coaching Session 3 — April 27, 9 a.m.-10 a.m. EST
- Group Coaching Session 4 — May 11, 9 a.m.-10 a.m. EST
Virtual group coaching sessions are optional but highly recommended.
Training Session Details
Session 1: The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
March 23, 2023
Facilitated by Dr. John Loblack
Studies show that effective leadership is closely tied to emotional intelligence. Using a variety of highly engaging learning strategies, this session will help leaders internalize the five competencies of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship management and motivation), identify the link between emotional intelligence and effective leadership, expand their communication skills, and learn how to apply emotional intelligence at work and in the world.
Session 2: The Conscious Leader
April 6, 2023
Facilitated by Ellen Nastir
Self-awareness and self-care are critical components of effective leadership. When you know your strengths and weaknesses, you can build upon them to maximize your effectiveness — at work and in life. Using the PeopleMap™ assessment, this session will empower leaders to focus on their Achilles’ heels — their areas for potential growth. Leaders will build an awareness of how different communication styles may unknowingly impact or trigger others, increase their understanding of others with intention, cultivate their leadership presence, and learn to identify team toxins and their antidotes. The strategies and exercises in this session will help prepare leaders to lead effectively.
Session 3: The Data-Driven Leader
April 20, 2023
Facilitated by Rebecca Watson
An organization’s success is largely influenced by the decisions of its leaders. Effective leaders make data-driven decisions that advance their organization’s mission and vision. This session will explore proven principles, practices and systems, including Data-Driven Decision Making (3DM), to help leaders listen to their data, make effective decisions and drive high-impact organizational performance. Leaders will learn how to apply 3DM principles in critical areas, including program evaluation, strategic planning and performance reviews, as well as how to develop a data-driven culture at work.
Session 4: The Connected Leader
May 4, 2023
Facilitated by Margarita Sarmiento
Recent demographic changes in our society have resulted in a workplace with rich racial, cultural and generational differences. Effective leaders must understand these differences and how to harness them to cultivate an effective team and organization. This session will help leaders increase their knowledge of changing demographics and the language of diversity, understand how preconceptions affect behavior, develop strategies for creating teams that are strengthened by their differences, and learn a proven strategy for addressing conflict and working through disagreements. Additionally, they will identify ways to build and maintain trusting relationships with, and between, team members.
Session 5: Leadership — A Facilitated Conversation
May 18, 2023
The final session of the Certificate in Leadership program invites leaders from across the community to participate in a facilitated conversation with Certificate participants, allowing participants the opportunity to hear different leadership perspectives, ask questions, further develop their knowledge and skills gained during the certificate program, and share next steps on their leadership journey. The session culminates in the awarding of the Certificate in Leadership.
All classes in the Certificate in Leadership program are taught by experienced subject matter experts and practitioners at the Nonprofit Leadership Center.
Meet our 2023 Nonprofit Leadership Certificate trainers and learn more about them:
The fee to participate is $550. It includes all sessions and materials. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.